American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics RSS feed.
- Top Reviewers of 2022on 01/04/2023 at 12:00 am
- Directory: AAO Officers and Organizationson 01/04/2023 at 12:00 am
- Online Only Abstractson 01/04/2023 at 12:00 am
- Editorial Boardon 01/04/2023 at 12:00 am
- Information for readerson 01/04/2023 at 12:00 am
- April 2023by Allen H. Moffitt on 01/04/2023 at 12:00 am
- Table of Contentson 01/04/2023 at 12:00 am
- Authors’ responseby Thorsten Grünheid, Amy W. Tasca, John S. Kanyusik, Shelley-Ann Walters, Brent E. Larson on 01/04/2023 at 12:00 am
We appreciate the readers’ interest in our study and their thoughtful questions, which we are happy to address.
- An opaque model resin cannot be used in a clear aligner printing accuracy studyby Nearchos C. Panayi on 01/04/2023 at 12:00 am
I have read the article by Boyer et al (Boyer RA, Kasper FK, English JD, Jacob HB. Effect of print orientation on the dimensional accuracy of orthodontic aligners printed 3-dimensionally. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2021;160:732-742). The authors investigated the effect of print orientation on the dimensional accuracy of 3-dimensional printed orthodontic aligners. They printed aligners in different angulations to evaluate their printing accuracy. The method that was used to investigate their hypothesis was technologically advanced.
- Queries regarding the effects of a flash-free system on dental plaque accumulation and the bonding-debonding processby Ulaganathan Sangeetha, Bhaskar Nivethitha, Balasubramanian Madhan on 01/04/2023 at 12:00 am
We read the article by Yıldırım et al (Yıldırım ZB, Ramoğlu Sİ. Effects of a flash-free system on dental plaque accumulation and bonding-debonding process: a clinical study. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2023;163:54-9). We congratulate the authors for publishing this interesting trial and would like to draw their attention to the following points.
- Considerations regarding an assessment of the orthodontic treatment efficacy of Clarity Alignersby Sergio Luiz Mota-Júnior, Gil Guilherme Gasparello, Leticia Machado Berretta, Orlando Motohiro Tanaka on 01/04/2023 at 12:00 am
We congratulate the authors on their interesting article (Grünheid T, Tasca AW, Kanyusik JS, Walters SA, Larson BE. Assessment of orthodontic treatment efficacy of Clarity Aligners using the Peer Assessment Rating index and the American Board of Orthodontics Cast-Radiograph Evaluation. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2022;162:861-9). We have a few queries about this article that we think are worthy of consideration.
- Improving the currency of orthodontic evidenceby Bita Fathipour, Greg J. Huang, Nikolaos Pandis on 01/04/2023 at 12:00 am
High-quality systematic reviews (SRs) are a cornerstone of evidence-based clinical decision-making.1 SRs are performed to identify and synthesize the best evidence on a particular clinical question and help identify gaps in our current knowledge. Over the past 2 decades, methods for conducting and reporting SRs have improved significantly.2-4 Although the methodology to conduct SRs is now well developed, less improvement has been achieved with another essential component of our evidence base—its currency.
- Broken trustby Peter M. Greco on 01/04/2023 at 12:00 am
Elena is a 14-year-old daughter of immigrants of meager means and needs orthodontic correction. The family travels from afar to see you because they trust you implicitly. She translates your directives for her parents, who are not yet adept at communicating in your language. Unfortunately, the distal of the rotated mandibular left second molar remains covered with gingival tissue. Your attempt to place bonded brackets has failed twice because of the opposing occlusion. So you identify an oral surgeon near Elena’s home and prescribe an operculectomy to avail the tooth for future banding.
- Comparative assessment of treatment efficiency and patient experience between Dental Monitoring and conventional monitoring of clear aligner therapy: A single-center randomized controlled trialby Jonathan Lam, Elissa Freer, Peter Miles on 01/04/2023 at 12:00 am
This 2-arm randomized controlled clinical trial (RCT) aimed to assess the effect of Dental Monitoring (DM) on the efficiency of clear aligner therapy (CAT) and patient experience compared with conventional monitoring (CM) used for regularly scheduled clinical appointments.
- Peer Reviewerson 01/04/2023 at 12:00 am
- Automatic detection of adenoid hypertrophy on cone-beam computed tomography based on deep learningby Wenjie Dong, Yaosen Chen, Ankang Li, Xiaoguang Mei, Yan Yang on 01/04/2023 at 12:00 am
This study proposed an automatic diagnosis method based on deep learning for adenoid hypertrophy detection on cone-beam computed tomography.
- Assessment of artificial intelligence-based remote monitoring of clear aligner therapy: A prospective studyby Thomas Ferlito, Desiree Hsiou, Kadriye Hargett, Camille Herzog, Petra Bachour, Negin Katebi, Oluwabunmi Tokede, Brent Larson, Mohamed I. Masoud on 28/03/2023 at 12:00 am
Artificial intelligence remote monitoring of clear aligner therapy has recently gained popularity. It uses deep learning algorithms on a patient’s mobile smartphone to determine readiness to progress to the next aligner (ie, GO vs NO-GO) and identify areas in which the teeth are not tracking with the clear aligners. This study aimed to assess the repeatability of the Go or No-Go instructions provided by the application and to determine the 3-dimensional discrepancies that constitute an unseat.
- The mechanical effect of geometric design of attachments in invisible orthodonticsby Waheed Ahmad, Feifei Jiang, Jing Xiong, Zeyang Xia on 27/03/2023 at 12:00 am
In invisible orthodontics, attachments are used with aligners to better control tooth movement. However, to what extent the geometry of the attachment can affect the biomechanical properties of the aligner is unknown. This study aimed to determine the biomechanical effect of attachment geometry on orthodontic force and moment using 3-dimensional finite element analysis.
- Extraction vs nonextraction of premolars for orthodontic treatment: A scoping review examining the extent, range, and characteristics of the literatureby Philip E. Benson, Ebrahim Alshawy, Gavin D. Fenton, Tom Frawley, Sangeeta Misra, Teresa Ng, Paul O’Malley, Gillian Smith on 24/03/2023 at 12:00 am
The debate about whether malocclusion can or should be treated with or without extraction of premolars continues. This scoping review quantifies the literature, summarizes the outcomes researched and methods, and proposes a way to reduce uncertainty in this area.
- Perception of laypersons, orthodontists, and oral and maxillofacial surgeons about the transverse occlusal planeby Sepideh Soheilifar, Mahtab Nouri, Malihe Safari, Sanaz Soheilifar, Sara Soheilifar, Mahmoud Nowzari, Sara Youssefinia, Navid Naghdi on 24/03/2023 at 12:00 am
Transverse occlusal plane (TOP) should be parallel to the true horizontal lines of the face (ie, the interpupillary line [IP] and commissural line [CL]). This study aimed to investigate the opinions of laypersons, orthodontists, and oral and maxillofacial surgeons about the impact of imbalanced IP and CL on facial attractiveness.
- Cone-beam computed tomography study of mandibular morphology and tooth compensation in asymmetrical patientsby Fernanda Blaudt Carvalho Marques, Lilian Siqueira de Lima, Raildo da Silva Coqueiro, Matheus Melo Pithon, Antônio Carlos de Oliveira Ruellas, Jose Vinicius Bolognesi Maciel, Matilde da Cunha Gonçalves Nojima on 24/03/2023 at 12:00 am
This study evaluated mandibular morphology and transverse dental compensation between symmetrical and asymmetrical subjects, allocated according to sagittal skeletal patterns. In addition, the hypothesis that mandibular morphology and dental compensations differed between symmetrical/asymmetrical groups and also among the different types of sagittal skeletal patterns was tested.
- Different biomechanical effects of clear aligners in closing maxillary and mandibular extraction spaces: Finite element analysisby Jun-qi Liu, Guan-yin Zhu, Yi-gan Wang, Bo Zhang, Ke Yao, Zhi-he Zhao on 22/03/2023 at 12:00 am
Compared with fixed treatments, clear aligners (CAs) have the advantages of comfort, esthetics, and hygiene, and are popular among patients and orthodontists. However, CAs exhibit control deficiencies in extraction patients because of insufficient root control and retention effects. These deficiencies can magnify biomechanical differences in bimaxillary dentition, further causing different orthodontic requirements between maxillary and mandibular dentition. This study aimed to elaborate on the biomechanical characteristics of bimaxillary dentition in extraction space closure and provided feasible biomechanical compensation strategies for use in clinical practice.
- Evaluation of stresses and displacement in the craniofacial region as a reaction to bone-anchored maxillary protraction in conjugation with posterior bite plane and rapid maxillary expansion in patients with Class III malocclusion: A finite element analysis studyby Tarulatha R. Shyagali, Rahul Patidar, Abhishek Gupta, Shanya Kapoor, Anil Tiwari on 21/03/2023 at 12:00 am
Treating a Class III malocclusion is often challenging for orthodontists. Bone-anchored maxillary protraction (BAMP) is known for achieving a significant maxillary protraction. The study aimed to evaluate the stress distribution and displacement of craniofacial bones as a reaction to the forces of BAMP, along with rapid maxillary expander and the posterior bite plane, in growing patients with skeletal Class III malocclusion using a finite element method.
- XGBoost-aided prediction of lip prominence based on hard-tissue measurements and demographic characteristics in an Asian populationby Lu Xing, Xiaoqi Zhang, Yongwen Guo, Ding Bai, Hui Xu on 21/03/2023 at 12:00 am
Prediction of lip prominence based on hard-tissue measurements could be helpful in orthodontic treatment planning and has been challenging and formidable thus far.
- May 2023by Allen H. Moffitt on 20/03/2023 at 12:00 am
- Impact of fixed orthodontic appliances on blood count and high-sensitivity C-reactive protein levels: A prospective cohort studyby Dimitrios Kloukos, Eleni Kalimeri, Sofia Gkourtsogianni, Alpdogan Kantarci, Christos Katsaros, Andreas Stavropoulos on 18/03/2023 at 12:00 am
The aim was to elucidate the magnitude of alterations in systemic blood counts in healthy patients during the first 14 days after fixed orthodontic appliance placement.
- Biomechanical effects of clear aligners with different thicknesses and gingival-margin morphology for appliance design optimizationby Xinwei Lyu, Xing Cao, Jiayin Yan, Runling Zeng, Jiali Tan on 18/03/2023 at 12:00 am
The objectives of this study were to investigate the biomechanical effects of clear aligners (CAs) with various thermoplastic material thicknesses and gingival-margin designs for space closure in extraction treatment and to propose a computer-aided procedure to optimize CA design.
- Mechanical loads exerted by different configurations of Burstone’s 3-piece segmented mechanics during a simulated intrusion of the mandibular incisorsby Fayez Elkholy, Sandra Wulf, Rudolf Jäger, Falko Schmidt, Bernd G. Lapatki on 17/03/2023 at 12:00 am
Burstone’s segmented intrusion arch technique allows variable incisor intrusion with lingual or labial tipping, depending on the position and direction of the force vectors exerted by the intrusion springs. To date, systematic biomechanical studies are lacking. This in vitro study aimed to determine the 3-dimensional force-moment systems applied to the 4 mandibular incisors and the deactivation behavior of the appliance by different configurations of the 3-piece intrusion mechanics.
- Palatal shape covariation in extraction versus nonextraction borderline patients: A geometric morphometric studyby Alexandros Papagiannis, Rahel Sallmann, Spyridon N. Papageorgiou, Theodore Eliades, Dimitrios Konstantonis on 16/03/2023 at 12:00 am
This study aimed to evaluate changes in palatal shape after orthodontic treatment from a borderline sample of extraction and nonextraction patients with a Class I relationship.
- Short-term effects of mechanical loading on the transdifferentiation of condylar chondrocytesby Amanda Gross, Peter H. Buschang, Ajay Shakya, Yan Jing on 13/03/2023 at 12:00 am
Transdifferentiation of chondrocytes into bone cells explains most of the prenatal and early postnatal condylar growth, but its role during later postnatal growth and the mechanisms regulating transdifferentiation remain unknown. This study aimed to quantify the effects of mechanical loading on chondrocyte-derived osteogenesis during late postnatal condylar growth using a short-term mandibular laterotrusion model.
- A novel pictorial smile chart: Reliability and validityby Akhter Husain, Ewald M. Bronkhorst, Hari Kishore Bhat, Mette A.R. Kuijpers, Shafees Koya, Anne Marie Kuijpers-Jagtman on 10/03/2023 at 12:00 am
Smile analysis provides data on the positive and negative elements of a patient’s smile. We aimed to develop a simple pictorial chart to record relevant parameters of the smile analysis in a single diagram and to investigate the reliability and validity of this chart.
- Interventions to facilitate the successful eruption of impacted maxillary incisor teeth due to the presence of a supernumerary: A systematic review and meta-analysisby Jadbinder Seehra, Khalid Mortaja, Fidaa Wazwaz, Spyridon N. Papageorgiou, Jonathon T. Newton, Martyn T. Cobourne on 10/03/2023 at 12:00 am
A failure of maxillary incisor eruption is commonly attributed to the presence of a supernumerary tooth. This systematic review aimed to assess the percentage of impacted maxillary incisors that successfully erupt after surgical removal of supernumerary teeth with or without other interventions.
- Clear aligner therapy in the mixed dentition: Indications and practitioner perspectivesby Nicholas M. Lynch, Bhavna Shroff, Caroline K. Carrico, Vincent Sawicki, Morgan Sabol, Steven J. Lindauer on 09/03/2023 at 12:00 am
This study evaluated current trends and perspectives among orthodontists regarding clear aligner therapy in the mixed dentition (CAMD), including insights into perceived indications, compliance, oral hygiene, and other factors.
- Orthodontic treatment with miniscrew anchorage: Analysis of quality of information on YouTubeby Mohamed ‘Abdullah Fauzan Yahya, Georgia Mae Wang, Smita Nimbalkar on 06/03/2023 at 12:00 am
The evaluation of the quality of information (QOI) and clarity of information (COI) among oral health-related videos on the video-streaming Web site YouTube is scarce. This study evaluated QOI and COI regarding temporary anchorage devices contained within videos uploaded by dental professionals (DPs) on YouTube.
- Comparison of 2 different wear protocols of vacuum-formed retainers with respect to the conventional parameters and 3-dimensional superimpositional analysisby Wilka Garcia-Nunez, Grant C. Vezina, Isil Aras on 06/03/2023 at 12:00 am
This study aimed to compare the effectiveness of 2 different wear protocols of vacuum-formed retainers (VFR) in terms of angular and linear displacement of teeth using 3-dimensional (3D) superimpositional analysis and conventional model parameters.
- Short-term effect of orthodontic clear aligners on muscular activity and occlusal contacts: A cohort studyby Michele Tepedino, Pietro Colasante, Edoardo Staderini, Francesco Masedu, Domenico Ciavarella on 03/03/2023 at 12:00 am
The simultaneous presence of maxillary and mandibular clear aligners alters the vertical dimension and the quantity and quality of occlusal contacts. Few data in the literature explain how this occurs and the effects on neuromuscular coordination. This study aimed to evaluate occlusal contacts and muscular balance during treatment with clear aligners over a short follow-up time.
- Maxillary molar distalization with a 2-week clear aligner protocol in patients with Class II malocclusion: A retrospective studyby Linwei Li, Runzhi Guo, Liwen Zhang, Yiping Huang, Yilin Jia, Weiran Li on 03/03/2023 at 12:00 am
This study aimed to investigate the efficacy of molar distalization with or without anterior teeth retraction.
- Initial forces acting on the maxillary teeth with aligner activation of canine distalization on the basis of different initial canine tips in vitroby Yongjie Fan, Xin Lv, Bingle Wang, Le An on 01/03/2023 at 12:00 am
The objective of this study was to investigate the 3-dimensional forces exerted on the maxillary teeth with aligner activation of maxillary canine distalization on the basis of different initial canine tips in vitro.
- Analysis of factors associated with the success of microimplant-assisted rapid palatal expansionby Carolina Marques Meirelles, Rafael Malagutti Ferreira, Hideo Suzuki, Cibele Braga Oliveira, Adriana Souza de Jesus, Aguinaldo Silva Garcez, Selly Sayuri Suzuki on 01/03/2023 at 12:00 am
Success-related factors of microimplant-assisted rapid palatal expansion (MARPE) were evaluated, including age, palatal depth, suture, and parassutural bone thickness, suture density and maturation, and the relation to corticopuncture (CP) technique, as well as skeletal and dental effects.
- Investigation of periodontal status and bacterial composition aroundmini-implantsby Rui Huang, Yin-Xue He, Xue-Ting Jia, Ji-Nan Liu, Xiao-Chuan Fan, Na Zeng, Xiao-Feng Huang on 27/02/2023 at 12:00 am
Mini-implants are now widely used in orthodontic treatment. Soft-tissue inflammation around the mini-implant is an important factor affecting its stability. This study aimed to investigate the periodontal status and the bacterial composition around mini-implants.
- Evaluation of changes in the maxillary sinus of orthodontic patients with maxillary molar distalization using cone-beam computed tomographyby Saadet Çınarsoy Ciğerim, Sema Kaya, Levent Ciğerim, Türkan Sezen Erhamza, Jamil Bayzed on 26/02/2023 at 12:00 am
This study aimed to evaluate the possible effects of maxillary molar distalization on maxillary sinus mucosa thickness and sinus volume in 3-dimensions.
- The effect of torque and vertical position of maxillary canine on smile estheticsby Alireza Haerian, Elaheh Rafiei, Pooya Fadaei Tehrani, Mohammad Hossein Toodehzaeim on 24/02/2023 at 12:00 am
Regarding the key role of the maxillary canine in dynamic occlusion and smile esthetics, this study investigated the relation between smile esthetics and maxillary canine torque and vertical position from the viewpoint of orthodontists, general dentists, and laypersons.
- The evaluation of lateral incisor adjacent to treated labial inversely impacted maxillary central incisor: A retrospective follow-up studyby Han Hu, Rongdang Hu, Guosheng Wu, Chaofan Sun on 24/02/2023 at 12:00 am
This retrospective study aimed to evaluate the further development of the lateral incisor and its associated periodontium adjacent to the treated labial inversely impacted maxillary central incisor.
- Malocclusion severity and smile features: Is there an association?by Hisham Mohammed, Reginald Kumar Jr, Hamza Bennani, John Perry, Jamin B. Halberstadt, Mauro Farella on 24/02/2023 at 12:00 am
This observational study investigated the relationship between malocclusion and smiling.
- Maxillary transverse deficiency diagnosed by 3 methods and its relationship with molar angulation in patients with skeletal Class III malocclusionby Chunxi Zhang, Qingyuan Guo, Wen Liu, Yongping Tang, Rongtao Yuan on 20/02/2023 at 12:00 am
The objective of this study was to evaluate the relationship between maxillary transverse deficiency (MTD) diagnosed by 3 methods and molar angulation measured in 3-dimensions in patients with skeletal Class III malocclusion, which could give reference to the selection of diagnostic methods in MTD patients.
- Comparison of maxillary anterior tooth movement between Invisalign and fixed appliancesby Shaun J. Murphy, Sanghee Lee, Joshua C. Scharm, Stella Kim, Aya A. Amin, Tai-Hsien Wu, Wei-En Lu, Ai Ni, Ching-Chang Ko, Henry W. Fields, Toru Deguchi on 15/02/2023 at 12:00 am
This research project aimed to compare the number of maxillary incisors and canine movement between Invisalign and fixed orthodontic appliances using artificial intelligence and identify any limitations of Invisalign.
- Finite element analysis of the biomechanical effect of clear aligners in extraction space closure under different anchorage controlsby Guan-yin Zhu, Bo Zhang, Ke Yao, Wen-xin Lu, Jia-jia Peng, Yu Shen, Zhi-he Zhao on 15/02/2023 at 12:00 am
Clear aligners (CAs) have attracted increasing attention from patients and orthodontists because of their excellent esthetics and comfort. However, treating tooth extraction patients with CAs is difficult because their biomechanical effects are more complicated than those of traditional appliances. This study aimed to analyze the biomechanical effect of CAs in extraction space closure under different anchorage controls, including moderate, direct strong, and indirect strong anchorage. It could provide several new cognitions for anchorage control with CAs through finite element analysis, further directing clinical practice.
- A conundrum: Part 2by Laurance Jerrold on 13/02/2023 at 12:00 am
Well, they told me not to do it. Several decades ago, when I started on the speaking circuit, I was warned against asking for audience participation as part of my presentation; the reason was simple. If the audience doesn’t participate, your talk flops. I was told the same thing regarding writing; don’t ask your readers to respond because if they don’t, well, as Peter Noone of Herman’s Hermits sang back in 1965: “Second verse, same as the first!”
- Stability of Class II malocclusion treatment with Class II elasticsby Guilherme Janson, Ana Liesel Guggiari Niederberger, Gabriela Janson, Marcelo Vinicius Valerio, Waleska Caldas, Fabrício Pinelli Valarelli on 11/02/2023 at 12:00 am
The objective of this study was to compare the long-term cephalometric stability after successful therapy of nonextraction Class II malocclusion with elastics and with headgear.
- Longitudinal behavior of orthodontic extraction spaces: A retrospective dental cast analysisby Marcelo Vinicius Valerio, Daniela Garib, Lucas Marzullo Mendes, Cintia Helena Zingaretti Junqueira-Mendes, Guilherme Janson on 08/02/2023 at 12:00 am
This retrospective study aimed to qualitatively and quantitatively evaluate orthodontic extraction space behavior and size at the end of treatment and the short- and long-term stages in Class I, II, and III malocclusions.
- Μενού Περιοδικών
- The New England Journal of Medicine
- Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
- International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
- Journal of Cranio-Maxillofacial Surgery
- British Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery (DGMKG)
- Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology and Oral Radiology
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Clinics
- Oral Oncology
- Clinical Oral Implants Research
- Otolaryngology — Head and Neck Surgery
- Implant Dentistry
- Head & Neck
- American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics